Friday, July 24, 2015

A day long horsey adventure.

While A was here I wanted to find at least one good day trip from Edinburgh to somewhere cool. We made it to Stirling (Weeks do Stirling), and the girls enjoyed that but I wanted something they would LOVE. So I found this place, Blackstone Clydesdales. It was a day long adventure that we all LOVED and I am so happy we did it and that we had great weather. 

Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. 


Then Glasgow to Auchinleck.


John, from Blackstone Farm was kind enough to pick us up at the train station, 
and take us to the farm. 


Yeah! Sweet horses! They loved to be petted and rubbed and fed peppermints and horsey treats. 




Getting ready to ride! I can't believe I wore a sweatshirt and a sweater all day that day. But it was cold fortunately it was not too windy. 


Look how high the stones are to be able to get on these majestic beasts. 


I rode Alfie, M was on Digger and A was on May Time. Digger and May Time are some of the older horses on the farm and were very gentle with the girls. Alfie is a wee bit younger and bigger but was also a sweetie. I had an easy time with him. 




The girls got to feed the pigs.


And they fed the Donkeys, Henrietta and Bubbles.  Donkeys are surprisingly sweet and soft. 



Then we groomed Henrietta and Bubbles.
Every time we stopped brushing them the nudged us for more. 

And we took them for a walk. They really are stubborn and sort of hard to walk. 
A kept getting nudged into the hedge by Bubbles. 
But it was still fun and the girls loved spending time with the animals. 

Monkey Puzzle tree! 

After the donkeys we got to meet their foal, who does not have a name yet. He was 5 months old and the size of a regular horse. We also fed and walked the Alpacas. My phone was in the farm house charging for the trip back at this point and A took pictures. She promised she would send them to me so I look forward to getting them soon.  

The train we wanted to catch back to Glasgow was cancelled so we ended up on the bus to Glasgow which worked just as well. A fell asleep on the bus poor thing was whipped out from all the excitement. Then in Glasgow we grabbed some sandwiches for another meal on the train to Edinburgh.


When we got back to Edinburgh, we caught a taxi and were home by 8:30 almost 12 hours after we headed out. It was a long but fun and memorable day. I hope the girls remember it as fondly as I do. In my next life I for sure want to live on a farm in the Scottish country side. 

Today is Saturday and we leave tomorrow! I am a wee bit sad but mostly happy to be heading home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment