Saturday, July 18, 2015

Craigmiller Castle

M & I had been to this castle and we loved it so we thought we would take A to see it. We took the 49 bus from Queens Hall on the out of town route. You get off near the Royal Infirmary and walk towards Craigmiller Park. If you are at the right stop you will see the sign that says Craigmiller 1/2 mile, but don't walk on road, take the path through the field. There is a sign, just follow the path and trust you will get there.

As with many things in the UK they think they are being abundantly clear when by American standards it is a wee bit vague. But it is worth the trek over the hill.

If you are in Edinburgh you could do the big Edinburgh Castle if you want. But I highly suggest Craigmiller. It costs half as much. The views are just as good. You get to have more fun climbing on stuff and investigating the rooms and it is not crowded. The one downside it that you do have to make some effort to get there, but if you have the time it is well worth it. But if you have a car it would be super easy, they even have a car park.


The girls as we are walking up. 

 M sat and had a Carmel Wafer and some apple juice to keep up her strength, 
so maybe she is my child after all. 

We made it to the top. See the castle in the background? 

I asked for a nice picture of the girls and this is what I got. That damned kid and her weird open mount crap! A looks lovely and sweet and did not ruin my picture. 

Getting closer. 

This is M's "I am the Queen" face. 

Pretty Flowers

They were both convinced they could climd this wall. They saw a guy do it before them. 

I am guessing the guy had a smidgen of upper body strength. 
Based on how many water bottles I have had to open for these two, 
they could use to do a push up or two. No upper body strength at all. 

Unicorn! It really is the national animal of Scotland. I love these people! 

Climbing the tree inside the castle gate. 

Different tree that had big step up to it so you could use your legs rather than arms to get into it. 


I need to remember to take my purse off for pictures! 

Too afraid of heights to come all the way to the top but she peeked in at us. 

At the top! 

Girls are in the window across the way.

She managed to come all the way to the top! Brave girl! It was super windy that is why M has her hands over her face, I think. 

A nook off the main hall. 

I am in jail! Not really the jail. The real castle jail was too scary and she would not stand in it. 

I'm roasting! There are several of these giant fire places throughout. 

The thistles are starting to bloom. 


Enjoying the wind!


We took the bus back, the 49 takes us right back to town. But I didn't think it was safe to cross in the middle of the street. I made the girls trudge a block to the cross walk. We missed one bus, but the beauty is that there was another one in 10 minutes so it really was ok. 

On the way back we stopped at the playground. I guess neither of them really wanted to play because I caught them sitting on a bench chatting. About what I have no idea. But they get along really well. And at one point yesterday A said to me "If I had a little sister I would want her to be just like Marion". I am glad that they are getting along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment