Friday, July 17, 2015

Yesterday was packed full of fun!

We did everything we could think of yesterday. Keep in mind we packed all of this in between 11 and 6:15 because we have a hard time getting going and I had plans at 7. 

First we walked over to the foot of the Arthur's Seat path. Not sure what type of bird this is, but M spotted it. He proceeded to walk towards us, then past us and across the road. Fortunately the driver stopped just in time and I did not have to deal with the girls watching a bird get squished in the road. 
We hiked over the mountain. A has more sympathy for M's whining than I do. 

We hiked from the Royal Commonwealth Pool side of the trail to the Palace side. 
It is MUCH easier to do the path this way. 
This way you have the really steep part at the end rather than the beginning. 




We got to the bottom and headed to the Palace. We ate lunch there, it was pricey but good. 
And now we can say we have eaten lunch at the Palace. 
M spent most of her time looking at the flowers in the garden rather than eating. 
Maybe that should be my new diet plan, 
buy food and then don't eat it, seems to be keeping her slim. 


We decided we were not in the mood to pay a bunch of money to go through the Palace. 



So we took pictures of ourselves with the creatures who guard the doors. 


According to M it brings you luck to touch a unicorn's horn. 


Always be a unicorn! 


A thought we were silly and did not want her picture taken with these majestic creatures. Glad I am good at embarrassing a 13 year old, won't have to practice for when M is that age. 

The Scottish Parliament building is right across the way from the Palace and it is free to tour. 


We sort of learned how Parliament works. 
I admit I am still not fully sure, but I don't live here so .... 
it's ok if I don't really have a full concept of it. 


The inside of the building is just as interesting as the outside. 

The debating chamber.


Girls in the top row seats. There is a lovely view of Arthur's Seat right from the window. 




Here is one of the outside views. 

After this we walked up the Royal Mile and did some shopping. Then we trudged home. Half way home I decided the girls (well honestly mostly M) needed some cheering up.
 The mood had turned dark. So I said, "If you stop complaining I will take you to the beach". 
We even stopped at Pound Land and bought beach toys! We ran home dropped off our shopping changed clothes, grabbed snacks and headed back out the door. From Summer Hall you can take the 42 bus to Portobello Beach! Just get off at the high street and any of the side streets leads to the ocean. 


No, it is not really warm enough to be in a bathing suit. 



There was shivering and itchiness from being buried in the sand. But we cleaned her off as well as we could and wrapped her in a towel for the bus ride home. Fortunately the bus driver did not notice the pile of sand we left on the floor. I do not want to be on the receiving end of the bus driver yelling. He did yell at a lady to get her dog off the seat. 

I made it back in time to meet up with my new friend Catriona (which is the Gaelic spelling of Katrina). She is a friend of a friend and is lovely. She is a quilter and has many more amazing and fun sounding hobbies. I really hope that our paths cross again, she seems like my kind of gal. Not to mention I love those kiddos & hubby with all my heart but it was nice to have a grown up conversation with someone I don't know everything about. 

Right now the girls are off on their own at the playground. The should be home soon for lunch and then we will head off on an afternoon adventure (if the weather holds out). 

We have BIG plans for the weekend. So stay tuned dear readers!! 

XOXOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment