Monday, June 1, 2015

Days 1 & 2

Day 1 - We arrived in Edinburgh after being on the road for 26 hours. I am not sure that the $1,800 savings was worth the extra travel time. It was pretty rough.

Thanks to my friend Heather's suggestion - I had my Dr. prescribe a motion sickness patch to wear. Made things SO MUCH better! No motion sickness at all the whole way here!


Atlanta to Chicago - car to pick us up was early, flight was on time - we had a ticketing issue - so we had to check in at the desk and get boarding passes every place we went.

M enjoying the ride to the airport.

Wow Bao - Chicago Airport
Our plane arrived! 
Chicago - Dublin - LOVE all the great food options on O'Hare's international terminal. Was pretty fascinating to see how many people and trucks it took to clean and prep this plane to go back to Ireland, where it had just been. Only a 20 minute delay leaving, cleared customs in Dublin in 5 minutes, was easy peasy.

 Marion and I got a couple hours sleep in this plane.

































Dublin to EDI - 4 hour layover, took bus out to little stairs to get on plane, took off, 10 minutes in - something wrong with plane, had to go back to Dublin, on ground in Dublin for another hour and a half. We were freezing the whole time we were in the Dublin Airport.

We found the one set of benches without seat dividers and that were not metal. 
We were so cold that M and I bought Ireland sweatshirts at the airport, $34 Euros for 2 nice sweatshirts, live and learn I guess. I am kicking myself for not bringing warmer clothes. But I will just wear everything I do have all at once and be fine. Perhaps, a good excuse to go shopping.

Finally landed in EDI and all was smooth there. No customs from Ireland. Taxi line was about 10 minutes. Taxi ride was about 20. But we finally got into our apartment! Unpacked a little and walked to the grocery store. We went to a Scot-mid which was very like the "Little Kroger" back home, but much smaller. Probably will venture to the slightly bigger Tesco and Boots (drug store) today.

I have to say M is a trooper. No major complaining, no emotional breakdowns. I however, was on the verge of a breakdown ay one point.

We all went to bed and slept over 12 hours. Fortunately the beds are comfy, however the heating s mysterious and we are working on getting it warmer. We will see how bad anymore jet lag hits us.
Eric has a conference to attend, and will be headed to work shortly. They are much more civilized here, he has to be there at noon.

Breakfast in our lovely apartment. 
The sky was blue and the sun was shining for a moment. Now the clouds have rolled in, we will have to see what the day brings.

So far M wants to have a "chill-ax" day and hang out at the apartment. She says she wants to get used to living here. I know her, what she really means is; she is nervous about anymore new stuff. I will have to see what I can do to coax her out. We have a list of stuff we want to acquire for the apartment. And I have a list of things I want her to see and do. But we do have loads of time, we will get to what we get to.

Found out we will officially have some visitors come see us in July! They will be staying in Ireland so maybe we will be able to pop over and see them and see something besides the inside of the Dublin airport!

So far it has been a pretty smooth adventure. Hopefully more fun pictures and stories soon!! I did bring my good camera so no more phone pics either.

What adventures are you getting into this summer?

Hugs - C

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos. Looks like the makings of a great family summer adventure!

    ReplyDelete