Friday, June 5, 2015

What will YES day bring? Delivered groceries and more....I hope.

If you have watched the Netflix show "Grace & Frankie" you know what Frankie's version of a yes day is. Well I have decided to try this general concept with M. Today is her yes day. There are a few parameters I have added for my own sanity. 

- We CANNOT watch TV all day. A one hour limit (which she is fast approaching) 
- A 5£ (about $7.50) spending limit on junk. But I am willing to buy food beyond this limit. 
- NO purchasing stuffed animals or anything too big to carry on the plane home. 

Other than that I have to say yes. Which means I have to go the directions she wants, probably actually play on the playground equipment and in general do whatever it is that she has come up with.

It is 9:20 am and so far she has downloaded a game (I wanted to say no but could not) and is watching American Ninja Warrior on You Tube. She has told me of some tentative plans, so there is hope it will get better.

Wednesday night we went out for dinner. M was not forced to be brave. We went to an Argentinian Steak place, she had steak and fries and was very happy. The waiter was super nice to her and the kids dinner came with an ice cream Sunday for dessert. After dinner M wanted to take daddy to her favorite place. The big playground. 

8:30 PM and it is still this sunny out!
The weather has warmed up a bit. But in this picture I have on, a long sleeve t-shirt, a dress, a vest, leggings, wool socks, a jacket and a scarf. At home I would probably have on the dress and some sandals.
Being silly in front of her climbing rock. 
Meditating in the "Meditation Swing", Wednesday evening
Tiny little hippie. Every time she gets on this swing she sits cross legged and says "ommmmm".

Wednesday evening Eric informed me that he has discovered he does indeed need a jacket and tie. Our host said he could loan him a tie and another professor said he might have a jacket Eric could wear. While it was very kind of them, Eric is an unusual size. So Thursday morning the three of us went up to the high street in search of a jacket and tie. We headed to John Lewis, which I would place somewhere between Macy's and Nordstrom. This blue blazer was the only one we could find in his size. Fortunately he is not picky and it does the job. I think he looks rather handsome really.

Eric off to a fancy work dinner Thursday night. 
When we were done shopping for Eric, he took a cab and headed off to work. M and I were left in town to explore. We shopped. M ended up buying a bathing suit. Which she may or may not need while we are here. But it was so cute and actually covered everything and was only 14£, Eric's new clothes were considerably more than that.


This is M being silly while we wait on our food at an utterly over priced touristy cafe. The food was ok and it got us in out of the rain.  

Putting on a puppet show. 
We did manage to make it to the Museum of Childhood.  I had been here about 10 years ago. It is a lovely museum. But was much different seeing it with M. She played with puppets, and toy cars and a doll house that I did not previously even notice. They very sweetly have all these kids things set out that the kids can actually touch and play with.


M and a girl from long ago Edinburgh. One thing I LOVE about the museums here is that they are almost all free! So you can go for an hour and then move on and come back another day. Which is about the pace that M likes to go.

One thing I have done for myself is ordered groceries to be delivered. There is a certain charm to picking up a few things on the way home every day. But it is also a little exhausting. And for those of you in my home town, imagine only having the little Kroger and it being half the size and twice the price. There are other cheaper options about 10 blocks away. But I can only carry so much and we really started with nothing here. Since we are going to be here so long I did a big order that will get us through most of being here. And can just grab a few things here and there while we are out. I figure this costs about the same as taking a cab home from the big shop and will be much easier I hope. If they bring it all the way up the scary stair, which I am sure they are used to, there will be a tip involved.
Dark and steep, 3 flights up to our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment